Thursday, July 18, 2013

Guilty (and not so guilty) Pleasures

I have three guilty pleasures in life.  Well, I take that back.  I have two guilty pleasures, and one that I take extreme pride in.

My first guilty pleasure is reality television cooking shows such as Hell's Kitchen, Master Chef, Chopped, etc.  I love cooking and learning about different types of ingredients and different ways to cook things.  However, that is only one of the reasons I watch these shows.  Another reason is I like to see different types of people and personalities and learn about them.

My second guilty pleasure is reality design shows such as Project Runway.  For as long as I can remember, I have always liked to try to be innovative and creative.  I have a sewing machine and a separate embroidery machine.  I love to design t-shirts, hand bags, baby clothes, and stuff like that.  Nothing on the scale of what is designed on Project Runway, but it gives me ideas.  And, again, I like to see different types of personalities - especially the creative ones - interact.

My third not so guilty pleasure is ATLANTA BRAVES BASEBALL...  I can write a whole blog about just this subject.  Not just the recent teams or the winning teams, but about the teams of the late 70's and throughout the 80's.  I have always been a fan.

Back to my first guilty pleasure - cooking shows.  Let me dissect the two that are really going on right now.  Master Chef and Hell's Kitchen.  The following opinions are my opinion and I respect the fact that everyone has their own opinions and their own favorites. 
  • Hell's Kitchen - On tonight's episode (spoiler alert if you haven't seen it) Mary was named as one of the finalist and Cyndi was sent home.  I agree with both of these moves.  When the season started Mary was probably my least favorite.  I did not think she was strong enough or assertive enough to be a head chef.  She has grown and matured and I have found myself strongly rooting for her.  
    • That leaves Jon and Ja'nel.  To be continued until next week.  We don't know who will join Mary in the final until then.  For me, it is a toss up.  Jon has been my favorite since week one, but he has seemed to plateau.  He did an awful job of running the pass when it was his turn.  With Ja'nel, I haven't liked her at all since week 1.  Her attitude has turned me off.  To be a leader, you still have to be part of a team, and she doesn't seem to want to work WITH people.  So, I believe it is a toss up on who will go against Mary, but I truly hope that Jon does.
  • Master Chef - Wow.  I don't know where to go with this one.  At the start of the season, my one favorite chef was Krissi because she seemed so real.  And as a mom, I can relate for her wanting to win in order to provide a better life for her son.  However, you can win with grace and you can lose with grace, and she hasn't done either.  She has turned into a bully and bullies should never be rewarded.  I'm also not a fan of Natasha.  She just thinks she is this absolutely gorgeous creature who can also cook.  I do not think that either description applies to her.  Right now, I would place money on either Jordan, Eddie, or Bri to win it.  I think it would be terrific if Bri, the vegetarian, won it.  I always like pulling for the underdog.
Onto my thoughts on Project Runway.  Season 12 premiered tonight.  I haven't really had a chance to form opinions on the contestants.  No one really struck me as being a front runner in the first challenge.  In fact, there were several that I would not have minded at all if they had went home tonight.  I have, however, already formed an opinion of three that I do not like.
  • Timothy Westbrook.  I understand wanting to be a designer that respects the environment.  However, there is a moment when you can take it too far.  Not allowing your model to wear makeup.  Not allowing her to have her hair done because the hairdresser uses electronics to style.  Not allowing her to have any product in her hair.  Sending her down the runway barefoot while you (yes, this is a male) is standing on the runway in 6 inch, gold glittery heels.  AND - and one of the judges pointed this out - using a lighter to burn parachute material to give it a certain look knowing that that fire and smoke send chemicals into the air.  Which is something you are standing there claiming to care about.  No, this designer, I do not like.
  • Miranda Levy.  This girl is good, but she needs to obey the rules.  This was an unconventional materials challenge and she just thumbed her nose at the judges - and Tim - by doing it her way and not listening.  I think she should have been disqualified and sent home.  It was not fair to the other designers.
  • Sandro Masmanidi - When your model is ashamed to walk down the runway because the outfit you have put her in is shorter than her vagina, you really have no place on this show.  The taste level is just not there.
I will reserve the right to name a favorite, for now.  I have not seen anything that has made me want to endorse any one competitor.  The season is still very young.

One last thing before I go .....  GO BRAVES !!!!!  I'm sure I will be blogging more and more about this team.  Win or lose, they are my favorite.  I don't jump on bandwagons, I support a team that I have always believed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment