Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Soapbox Rant

I will tell you now that some of you will not like reading this rant.  If you are not an Atlanta Braves fan, you will want to stop reading right now.
 
I am a diehard Braves fan.  I love this team with a passion.  Since I can remember, the Braves have always been my team.  I was born in 1972.  The first team that I can remember included players like Dale Murphy, Biff Pocoroba, Rick Camp, Jerry Royster, Phil Niekro, and Cito Gaston.  One of my favorite teams was the team of 1984 that included Dale Murphy, Steve Bedrosian, Rick Camp, Rick Mahler, Craig McMurtry, Bob Horner, Glenn Hubbard, Chris Chambliss, Bruce Benedict, Rafael Ramirez, Claudell Washington, Brad Komminsk, etc.  I could probably name more Braves or former Braves than most people.  I have spent more years defending my Braves - who were continually in last place or close to it - than most people.
 
Now that you know my history, let me get started with my rant.  I am so damn sick and tired of ESPN and every other supposedly sports "professional" putting down my team.  Calling MY team a laughing stock and ninnies.  That is just quoting on article.  Let me tell you something.  I respect the Braves more than any other team because they respect baseball.  PERIOD.
 
I do not respect the Los Angeles Dodgers for several reasons.  One - Puig.  You DO NOT show up your opposing team when you hit a SINGLE.  He showboats no matter what he does.  And when he gets thrown out or strikes out or hit by a pitch, he acts like a 2 year old.  That is not respect.  Two - you DO NOT announce to a stadium full of people before the FOURTH game of a playoff series welcome to the FINAL game of the playoff series.  That puts down the other team and is unprofessional.
 
Those of you who continually put down one of the most consistently winning team in all of baseball have a problem.  You do not know what the hell you are talking about. 
 
Take a look at most other teams in baseball, then take a look at the Braves.  Not stats.  Not win loss records.  Look at the players.  What do you see?  You see clean cut young men.  Do you see long dreadlocks?  NO.  Do you see outrageous jewelry? NO.  Do you see unkempt facial hair down to the lettering on their jerseys?  NO.  You don't see thugs.  You don't see people who look like they could be in a gang.  You see baseball players.  Real baseball players who get absolutely  no respect from any other team or so called professionals in the sport. 
 
Why is the question.  The only thing this team ask for is RESPECT.  Is that too much?  No, it isn't.  Especially when there is a team that deserves it so much. 
 
The Atlanta Braves are the "red headed step-child" of Major League Baseball.  What do I say to that?  I say Major League Baseball better get used to the Braves being a top team.  We're not going anywhere.  What do I say to ESPN?  I say ESPN SUCKS and they are the top unprofessional sports reporters in the industry.  Suck it up buttercups and realize that the Braves are professionals.  The Braves are respectful.  The Braves are one of the best teams around.  This team has earned respect and they demand respect.    Respect is what you should be giving them.
 
OK.  End of rant.  But not the end of me being completely pissed off by the treatment of the Atlanta Braves by the mistreatment of my team.

No comments:

Post a Comment